Seven Oaks Farm is one of the numerous historic estates stretched along U.S. Route 250 in western Albemarle’s Greenwood-Afton Rural Historic District. The main residence, a frame Greek Revival dwelling, was built ca. 1847-48 for Dr. John Bolling Garrett. It was embellished in 1906 with a monumental Ionic portico. An interesting landmark at Seven Oaks is a double-pen log house, built ca. 1769 for Samuel Black, who kept a tavern here whose patrons included George Rogers Clark, Meriweither Lewis, and William Clark. Also on the Seven Oaks Farm and Black’s Tavern property are numerous early outbuildings, including an 18th-century smokehouse, a hexagonal icehouse, a dairy, a greenhouse, barns, and a carriage house. In the 20th century the property was briefly owned by relatives of the Langhorne family of nearby Mirador. Their famous Langhorne kinswoman, Lady Astor, stayed at Seven Oaks Farm during her Virginia visits to her sister-in-law, Mrs. Graham Harris.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark