The Miller School of Albemarle’s complex of High Victorian Gothic buildings was provided through the will of Samuel Miller (1792-1869) to serve the children of Albemarle County’s poor. Miller, a county native, was born into poverty and made a fortune in the tobacco and grocery business in Lynchburg. The school, developed on one of Miller’s farms, pioneered in industrial education, emphasizing both manual labor and classic liberal education. The school’s architectural focal point, Old Main (pictured), was begun in 1874. Its designers were Albert Lybrock and D. Wiley Anderson of Richmond, who created a grand statement in the weighty, richly ornamented Gothic style popularized by the English critic John Ruskin. It, and the Arts Building and superintendent’s house, were erected under the supervision of C. E. Vawter, the school’s first superintendent. Still a viable educational institution, the Miller School of Albemarle continues to stress craft education and academics.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia