One of several historic properties situated in the countryside near Keene, in the Southern Albemarle Rural Historic District, The Rectory was built soon after 1848 when the property was acquired by St. Anne’s Parish to serve as the rectory of nearby Christ Episcopal Church. In keeping with the moderation expected in clergy lifestyle, the house is a plain, two-story wooden structure in builder’s Greek Revival style. Pleasantly situated within spacious, old-fashioned grounds at the junction of two county roads, the house stands on the site of a country store and wagon stop known as Dyer’s Store, built before 1787. The store’s foundation remains in the cellar. For a time the store displayed a sign reading “Plain Dealing,” which provided the name for the noted plantation bordering The Rectory property. The Rectory remained the property of St. Anne’s Parish until sold in 1917. Now a private residence, The Rectory has since been expanded.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark