The Luke Mountain Historic District in Alleghany County comprises a cluster of historic estates located on the sides and summit of Luke Mountain, overlooking the Jackson River and the city of Covington to the east. In 1917 William A. Luke, Sr., general manager of the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company plant in Covington, began purchasing land on the mountain. His Craftsman-influenced home, Pen-Y-Bryn, was designed by Roanoke architect Edward G. Frye and completed in 1919. The family’s second mansion on the mountain, Glencairn, a Tudor Revival-style residence, was designed by the Roanoke firm of Eubank and Caldwell and completed in 1929. In 1937 the Roanoke firm of Smythy and Boynton completed the family’s third mansion, Homewood (picture above), in the Colonial Revival style. The 100-acre Luke Mountain Historic District includes contributing secondary resources such as barns, garages, a log playhouse, and a bathhouse.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark