The Barrett-Chumney House was built in 1823 by Thomas Barrett in an elegant Federal style, with stylish architectural details, as the seat of a small tobacco plantation in Amelia County. With the exception of some Greek Revival elements added during the 1860s, the Barrett-Chumney House remains little changed today and is an excellent and well-preserved example, along with its affiliated agricultural buildings, of an early plantation, originally worked by enslaved Africans and later operated as a farmstead of tenant farmers and day laborers.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark