Mountain View Farm includes a late 18th-century house built for Col. Hugh Rose. The house was moved in 1831 from Spencer’s Mountain (now Geddes Mountain) to a site not far away in order to be more convenient to the newly constructed stagecoach road linking Philadelphia with North Carolina. In 1833 the property was purchased by Dr. Paul Carrington Cabell, a prominent area physician, who erected the outbuildings including a doctor’s office, a smokehouse, a well house, and a combination ice house/carriage house. Mountain View Farm was acquired around 1858 by Lynchburg philanthropist Samuel Miller who intended to use the property for the cultivation of the medicinal herb, horehound. Miller died in 1859 before his venture came to fruition. With its collection of six outbuildings, Mountain View Farm preserves a significant image of a traditional Piedmont rural complex of the mid-19th century.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark