For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 09/08/2004
NRHP Listing Date 11/19/2004
NRHP Reference Number 04001244
Tusculum, where William Sidney Crawford, Amherst County Clerk of Court, routinely transacted county business, was originally honored by placement in the registers for its architectural integrity. The two-story Georgian and Federal-style frame dwelling had been built in two phases. A two-room-deep, side-passage-plan section to the north was constructed possibly as early 1750; a one-room plan southern section was added around 1805. The house had stone and brick foundations, plain and beaded weatherboard siding, exterior gable-end brick chimneys, and a gable roof covered in asphalt shingles. The three-bay original section had a one-story entry porch on the east side; a similar porch on the west side was replaced by a small addition. A breezeway separated the first stories of the original section and addition, and continued as a porch along the east rear elevation of the two-bay addition. The interior was little altered and featured Georgian and Federal mantels, a stair with turned balusters, chair rails, wood floors, and plaster-lath walls and ceilings. In order to avoid demolition, the house was carefully disassembled and warehoused.
The house was partially reassembled in a new location in Amherst County in the summer of 2016. Tusculum has been technically delisted since August 2016, as the NPS did not receive any documentation about the new location for the house and the reconstruction plans/methods.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 5, 2021