Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

005-0058 Hite Store

Hite Store
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 03/19/1997

NRHP Listing Date 06/06/1997

NRHP Reference Number 97000487

Hite Store has served the general merchandise needs of the Lowesville community since its construction in 1869. The business was started as a partnership of Henry Loving and Nathan C. Taliaferro. The building was designed to hold living quarters for the storekeeper, and from around 1876 to the 1990s it housed a post office. The Lowesville Academy operated here in the 1890s and the building later underwent alterations to accommodate boarders. In 1902 the property was purchased by Camilla J. Hite and Mary C. Thornton, and remained in Hite family ownership until 1991. The country Greek Revival structure is among the state’s earliest and more architecturally refined general stores. In addition to dispensing merchandise, stores such as this became important social gathering places. The majority of Virginia’s old general stores now stand abandoned. Hite Store remains an active commercial establishment.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 2, 2020