Emmanuel Baptist Church was constructed around 1907 in central Amherst County on the outskirts of the former milling community of Sandidges. The Late Gothic Revival-style building features a three-story bell tower and is an important example of early 20th-century ecclesiastical architecture in Amherst County, where few early 20th-century church buildings have survived or remain largely unaltered and historically intact. Of the four documented existing churches in the county built between 1901 and 1940, Emmanuel is the only church featuring canted walls and multiple-part, lancet-arched stained glass windows, and is one of just two designed with auditorium seating. The present church building is the product of three building phases: The original building including a rear ell was constructed around 1907; a one-story rear addition was erected in 1969; and a breezeway and two-story rear addition that were completed in 1996. These later additions to the rear of the Emmanuel Baptist Church do not greatly affect the original building’s integrity of design or feeling.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark