The Augusta County School Board purchased this parcel next to the Mount Herman Cemetery in 1873 and erected the formerly one-room Moffatt’s Creek Schoolhouse the same year. This was the first year of the county’s program to acquire older schools and build new ones in its effort to develop a county-wide free public school system. The growth of the village of Newport necessitated the addition of a second schoolroom in 1890. The Moffatt’s Creek Schoolhouse thus became one of twenty-two, two-room graded schools in Augusta County. The school was replaced by a larger facility in 1923, and the property was sold to the Mount Herman Lutheran Church the following year. Still in use by the church’s cemetery association, the basic form of the Moffatt’s Creek Schoolhouse building has not changed, holding a reminder of the simple setting of rural education before the turn of the 20th century.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark