Typical of the scores of iron furnaces that were sprinkled through the hills and mountains of western Virginia is Roaring Run Furnace, a single-stack, hot-blast charcoal furnace built of large squared stones. It was constructed in 1832, rebuilt in 1845, and rebuilt again early in the Civil War. Most of the pig iron produced during its last years was shipped to Richmond for use by the Tredegar Iron Works in manufacturing arms. The Roaring Run Furnace was abandoned after the war and the Botetourt County property was later incorporated into what is now the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests. The structure is preserved as a point of interest by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark