Upper Weyanoke

VLR Listing Date


NRHP Listing Date


NRHP Reference Number


Archaeological investigations at Upper Weyanoke, a James River plantation in Charles City County, reveal an almost unbroken succession of settlements from the late-17th to the late-19th-century. The principal historic structure is an early-19th-century brick cottage, probably built by John Minge as a dependency for a vanished larger house. The tiny, two-room dwelling has been extended with modern wings, but the original configuration remains clearly discernible. Also on the grounds, but not related to the brick cottage, is a Greek Revival dwelling completed in 1859 for Robert Douthat. The generously proportioned but very plain two-story house has a side-passage plan and at the time of listing in the registers had long stood unoccupied. More detailed study of Upper Weyanoke’s archaeological remains and their relationship to the standing structures should provide much information relating to three centuries of plantation life here.

Last Updated: December 7, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form


Dancing Point

Charles City (County)



Charles City (County)


Fort Pocahontas

Charles City (County)