Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

018-0026 Upper Shirley

Upper Shirley
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/15/1981

NRHP Listing Date 10/29/1982

NPS property number 82001884

The 1868-70 house at Upper Shirley was a secondary residence on the Shirley plantation, seat of the Carter family. Built by Hill Carter for his son William Fitzhugh Carter at a time when few houses were erected in Virginia because of the deprivations of the Civil War, the original portion was constructed by A. H. Marks and Brothers of Petersburg. The walls were laid with bricks taken from a large 18th-century dependency that formed part of the original architectural complex at Shirley. Under the ownership of the Edmund Saunders family, the house was enlarged in 1890-91 to nearly twice its original size and became one of the first homes in this rural county to incorporate modern turn-of-the-century conveniences. The house enjoys a romantic setting on the band of the James.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018