The Falling Creek Marker in Chesterfield County, is one of 16 markers erected along Virginia’s portion of the Jefferson Davis Highway between 1927 and 1947 as a memorial to Jefferson F. Davis, the only president of the Confederate States of America. The historic stone markers were paid for, erected, and maintained by the United Daughters of the Confederacy through local chapters and their affiliated state and national organization. The UDC campaign that extended the length of the Jefferson Davis Highway through former Confederate states is considered by the UDC to be one of its greatest accomplishments, and also featured UDC-sponsored maps, educational brochures and travel publications to promote the continental highway.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia