With its stately architecture and beautifully landscaped park, Carter Hall presents an idealized image of antebellum Southern gentility. The house was erected in the late 1790s for Col. Nathaniel Burwell, originally of Carter’s Grove in James City County. The massive Ionic portico was added in 1814 by Burwell’s son, George Burwell. In 1862, the Confederate General “Stonewall” Jackson set up headquarters here, using the park as his campground. The plantation was purchased in 1930 by pharmaceutical magnate Gerard Lambert, who commissioned New York architect Harry T. Lindeberg to undertake an extensive remodeling. Lindeberg removed a cupola and had the stucco removed from the stone walls. The Georgian-style woodwork and flying spiral stair are also Lindeberg’s design. The beautiful park, located in Clarke County’s Greenway Rural Historic District, provides one of Virginia’s most impressive landscape settings for a historic house. Carter Hall has most recently served as the headquarters of the People to People Health Foundation, also known as Project HOPE.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark