Virginia State Seal Virginia Department of Historic Resources

021-0029 Fairfield

Photo credit: David Edwards/DHR, 2021

*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/02/1969

NRHP Listing Date 02/26/1970

NRHP Reference Number 70000787

Fairfield is one of the largest of several houses erected in the late 18th century by members of the Washington family on their extensive holdings in the lower Shenandoah Valley. Most of these properties are now in West Virginia. Fairfield follows the symmetrical, rectangular format typical of Virginia’s Tidewater Georgian houses but is built of native limestone. It was completed ca. 1770 for Warner Washington, whose first cousin George Washington visited here on numerous occasions. The dormers and terminal wings were added in the 20th century by the Richardson family, who acquired the property in 1830. The one-story connecting wings are part of the original construction. The house preserves its original Georgian stair and paneled woodwork. The handsome grounds have terraced gardens. Fairfield’s unusually large brick and stone barn was probably built in the early-19th-century.  The property contributes to the Long Marsh Run Rural Historic District.

VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated: May 11, 2021