Millwood Colored School is a one-story, two-room, frame school that was constructed around 1910 for African American pupils of Millwood, a small village in southern Clarke County and in the Chapel Rural Historic District. The school was built using funds donated by local citizen Graham F. Blandy, who was interested in the education of black youths in the area. For 83 years, until the Millwood Colored School closed in 1952, its educators were instrumental in teaching black students to read and write, and also trained them in technical and trade skills. After the building was no longer used as a school, the Millwood Good Will Association purchased it. Renamed the Millwood Community Center, the former school continues to be a center for community activities.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark