A classic example of American Georgian architecture, Salubria was erected in the mid-18th-century by the Rev. John Thompson, rector of St. Mark’s parish. Thompson’s first wife was the widow of Governor Alexander Spotswood. Upon her death, Thompson married Elizabeth Rootes, and their son, Philip Rootes Thompson, eventually inherited the Culpeper County property. Typical of high-style Georgian design, the exterior is distinguished by a carefully calculated proportional system and minimal architectural ornamentation. Lending the house special significance as a document of colonial artistry is its outstanding interior paneling. The parlor chimneypiece is framed by Doric pilasters which support a full Doric entablature. The property was acquired by the Hansbrough family in 1802, who named it Salubria, meaning healthful. In 1853 Salubria was bought by Robert O. Grayson, in whose family it has remained. On the grounds are remnants of a large terraced garden.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia