Signal Hill, built around 1900, was originally known as Mount Castle. The large, two-story brick farmhouse was the home of John R. Duncan, a prominent Culpeper County dairyman and horse breeder. Situated on 40 acres of farmland, the house and outbuildings exemplify Culpeper County’s agricultural heritage of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, a period in which the small family farm gradually transformed into the modern paradigm of mechanization. The Culpeper County house is one of the county’s finest examples of turn-of-the- century domestic architecture. Its late Victorian character and design illustrates an era when railroads, modern sawmills, architectural and millwork catalogs, and a booming timber industry made a broad range of excellent domestic designs available to builders in rural and urban areas.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark