For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 01000154
Edrington School, located in southern Culpeper County, is the county’s only surviving one-room public school for African American children in its original location and preserving its original appearance. Taking its name from the nearby Eckington Post Office, the simple frame and weatherboard building was constructed in 1895 to serve the area’s blackstudents and continued in operation until 1941. Used by the adjacent Free Union Baptist Church as a social hall until 1987, the school building was restored by church members and used for historical exhibits on the school and community.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018