A rambling two-story dwelling, Clifton, was constructed in three building campaigns during 1845, 1850, and 1910. The 241-acre property in Culpeper County is bordered on two sides by the Thornton River and includes a large and impressive collection of historic farm-related outbuildings, including a kitchen, barns, an icehouse, the ruins of slave cabins, and a family cemetery. The house is an unusually well-preserved example of an architecturally evolving residence, with characteristics of various styles derived from architectural pattern books. It was built in its earliest form by George Roberts Crigler, whose family resided at Clifton for over 150 years. Crigler served as one of the county’s school board members, which obligated him to ensure that his district had a schoolhouse, teacher, and free text books. This role led him to establish a school for local boys at Clifton, with assistance from his son, William Gideon Crigler. Many other members of the family were also active in improving and extending education for white children around Culpeper in a period when public education was limited and segregated.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark