The wood-frame, double-pile plantation dwelling of the Appomattox River property of Burlington is a classic example of colonial Virginia’s domestic architecture. Characteristic elements of the style used here include the symmetrical arrangement of bays, weatherboarded walls, pedimented dormers, and brick end chimneys. Burlington’s paneled wainscoting, with a row of panels above the chair rail, is similar to that in several other Dinwiddie County houses, suggesting common craftsmen. An important original interior feature is the architectural corner cupboard decorated with Doric pilasters, arched doors, and semi-domed interior. Other noteworthy elements are the paneled chimneypiece and the walnut stair rail with turned balusters. The Civil War destruction of the Dinwiddie County records hinders documentation of the property. An 1802 insurance policy, however, shows its owner then was Robert Pleasants. Burlington was later owned by the Friend family for over a hundred years.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark