Constructed between 1818 and 1826, Rose Bower’s dwelling house is the nucleus of an early-19th-century Dinwiddie County plantation that has been continuously owned and farmed by one family, the Roses. Some of the crops grown historically at Rose Bower, such as tobacco, corn, cotton, peanuts, hay, and wheat, continued to be grown there through the end of the 20th century. The complex of outbuildings and farm buildings on the Rose Bower property represents a continuum of domestic and agricultural activity. The house itself, though plain outside, has undergone few alterations. The exterior is still clad with original beaded weatherboards. The interior has a hall/parlor plan with an enclosed stair. The parlor is embellished with an interesting provincial Federal chimneypiece and a rare built-in china cabinet with original glass doors. Some of the woodwork with the Rose Bower house preserves original grained and marbleized decorative painting.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark