Belle Grove is located along the Winchester Road and U.S. 17 in the pristine Crooked Run Valley Rural Historic District and about a mile from the village of Paris. Stone gateposts mark the main entrance, and a dry-stacked stone fence runs the length of the property’s frontage. The stately brick manor house, shadowed by the Blue Ridge Mountains, is a grand Federal-style residence built in 1812 for Paris tavern keeper Isaac Settle. During the Civil War, as recorded in the diaries of Settle’s granddaughter, Amanda Edmonds, Belle Grove served as a boardinghouse, hospital, and house-of-entertainment for wounded, famished, and homesick Confederate soldiers. Today the site features many historic outbuildings that reflect the agricultural evolution of the property; these include an unusual circa-1830 granary and cart shed with livestock bays that demonstrate the property’s early-19th-century transition from orchard and tobacco farming to primarily wheat and cattle raising; a ca. 1812 meat house; a ca. 1830 barn; a ca. 1900 chicken house; and three ca. 1940 sheds used for cattle, loafing, and machinery. Five sites on the property also contribute to its historic significance: two are from ca. 1812–a four-foot-square stone foundation and stone springhouse ruin; the Edmonds-Settle-Chappelear Cemetery (with grave markers dating between 1826 and 1940); a ca. 1900, 8-by-12-foot stone foundation; and a circa-1900 tenant house ruin.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark