For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 03/17/2004
NRHP Listing Date 05/27/2004
NPS property number 04000550
Spread over 18,630 acres, the Crooked Run Valley Rural Historic District includes more than 400 architectural resources as well as significant landscape features, vistas, and open spaces. These resources include the historic districts in the villages of Delaplane to the south and Paris to the north. They reflect the lifeways of the people who occupied, developed, used, and shaped the land to their needs over the valley’s recent history. European settlers began to establish homesteads there between 1730 and 1750, when Lord Fairfax, who owned the area as part of his five million-acre Northern Neck Proprietary, issued land grants. The predominant architectural element in the district is the farm dwelling and its associated agricultural and domestic outbuildings, which illustrate nearly 250 years of agricultural development and operation. The majority of these resources date from the 19th century, though a few late 18th-century dwellings and outbuildings are still extant. Notable examples are Woodside, Ashleigh and Yew Hill.
A 2006 nomination amendment updated the description for Belle Grove.
[VLR Accepted: 4/17/2006; NRHP Accepted: 6/1/2006]
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated February 24, 2020