Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

030-0059 Woodside

Woodside
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 06/18/2009

NRHP Listing Date 08/12/2009

NPS property number 9000616

Located in the northwest part of Fauquier County, west of the Blue Ridge, Woodside is a two-story, brick and log, H-shaped dwelling built about 1800 and completed with a Greek Revival front portion in 1848 by Anne Lewis Marshall, the granddaughter of Chief Justice John Marshall, and her husband James Fitzgerald Jones. The house sits on a rise overlooking a pond, farm pastures, and the valley beyond. The property contains a collection of out­buildings that range in date from the late 18th to the mid-20th centuries. Apart from its significant association with the well-known Marshall family, Woodside is an example of a local interpretation of the Greek Revival style by master builder William Sutton and mason Luke Woodward, exhibiting elegant details such as its interior woodwork. Woodside provides a tangible link to Fauquier County’s settlement patterns and rural development.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated August 1, 2018