Sky Meadows State Park, situated partially within the Crooked Run Valley Rural Historic District in Fauquier and Clarke counties, is significant for architecture and agriculture between 1780 and 1954. In continuous use for nearly 175 years, the four major farms comprising the park were considered some of the best producers in the valley. The park includes the stone Federal-style Mt. Bleak house, built in 1843 for merchant Abner H. Settle. The five-bay façade conveys formality, while the asymmetrical rear elevation with an unusual Dutch door to the dining room displays vernacular influences. At the park’s entrance, the one-and-one-half-story, three-bay-wide Wayside Cottage, built about 1780, typifies the colonial Virginia hall-and-chamber house form. Thirteen well-preserved agricultural buildings in the park date from the antebellum period through World War II. The earliest is the 1843 carriage- and corn-house near the northwest dooryard at Mt. Bleak.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark