William Galt (1755-1825), a Scottish immigrant, became a wealthy Richmond merchant and accumulated numerous plantations. Three in Fluvanna County, extending for some five miles along the James River, were devised to adopted sons James and William, Jr. They divided them evenly, naming them Point of Fork and Glen Arvon (also spelled Glenarvon), and built identical houses in 1834-35. Placed overlooking the James River and Kanawha Canal, which afforded easy access to Richmond markets, the nearly identical houses were similar in size and quality to the large Classical Revival mansions of the state capital. Both were distinguished by Greek Revival porticos on their garden elevations. Documentary resources concerning William Galt, Jr.’s comfortable life at Glen Arvon are plentiful, with his books, wines, children, and frequent travels figuring prominently in his interests. The kitchen outbuilding, icehouse, and foundations of several other ancillary structures remain on Glen Arvon’s grounds.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark