Millbank is one of the few remaining antebellum buildings in an area affiliated with the Third Battle of Winchester, which occurred September 19-23, 1864. Situated at the time of its listing on nearly three acres in Frederick County, the large house and surrounding fields provided ample space for essential medical care of wounded and dying Union soldiers, until the Sheridan Field Hospital could be assembled near Shawnee Springs on the 22nd and 23rd of September, 1864. During the Civil War, Millbank’s owner, Daniel T. Wood, joined other Quakers in the area as a Union sympathizer, as evidenced by a protection order issued for his property in 1863 by Union Gen. Robert H. Milroy. Wood’s loyalties exemplify a trend among Quakers, who often broke vows of pacifism to support the Union and fight for the abolition of slavery. Sadly, after remaining vacant for many years, the once grand house has suffered much deterioration.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark