Reflecting the influence of traditional building forms of the German settlers from Pennsylvania who migrated to the Shenandoah Valley, Rock Hill in Frederick County was constructed around 1780 by or for William Lupton. It exemplifies an evolved vernacular dwelling with subtle details that evoke the Georgian and Federal architectural styles popular during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The dwelling, also known as the Gold House, exhibits three separate building phases—stone, log, and timber frame—each one incorporating techniques derived from German, Scotch, and English Quaker cultural traditions and local materials. The Rock Hill property also features a circa 1780 smokehouse and springhouse, the latter in ruins, as well as a circa 1850 bank barn.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark