A two-story residence, constructed around 1820 of brick, laid in Flemish bond on the facade, Springdale represents a locally important example of a well-preserved Federal-style house. The Springdale property also includes an 1807 springhouse and smokehouse that illustrate the variation of styles and construction materials popular during their era in the northern Shenandoah Valley. In 1958, the Springdale property passed out of the Lupton family, Quakers who built Springdale and farmed it continuously during their ownership. Both exterior and interior features of the primary dwelling, springhouse, and smokehouse illustrate the property’s high architectural integrity. A stone wall, built about 1862, fronts the property.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark