For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 11/15/1977
NRHP Listing Date 03/28/1980
NRHP Reference Number 80004190
By the second quarter of the 18th century, large numbers of Pennsylvania Quakers began moving into unsettled lands of Northern Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley and founding new communities. The Hopewell Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends was established in Frederick County in 1734, and in 1759 the congregation replaced its first meetinghouse with the earliest portion of the present building, erected by Thomas McClun. The limestone structure was doubled in size in 1788-94. A schism developed within the Society in 1827, and a partition was erected through the interior, as it was in many meetings, so that each group could have its respective meeting place. The factions reunited in 1910, and the partition was removed. Echoing the quiet sobriety of the Quakers, the plain building, one of the oldest houses of worship west of the Blue Ridge Mountains, remains in regular use.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 6, 2021