Opequon Presbyterian Church, completed in 1897, is a Gothic Revival-style rustic stone building with pointed-arched, stained-glass windows and a tall corner bell tower. Built on the site of two previous churches erected by Scots-Irish immigrants to central Frederick County beginning around 1736, the church and nearby cemetery represent the oldest established Presbyterian congregation west of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. Enclosed by a wrought-iron fence, the cemetery contains mostly headstones dating from the 18th and 19th centuries, including the oldest known marked grave in the Shenandoah Valley, that of John Wilson, who died in 1742. Although recently affected by modern development, the six-acre property still retains its rural integrity.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark