For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/01/2005
NRHP Listing Date 07/27/2005
NRHP Reference Number 05000769
Located along Opequon Creek, west of Winchester in Frederick County, Long Meadows is a well-preserved stone and log dwelling that evolved from a frontier residence to a prosperous 19th-century homestead through three distinct stages of construction. The earliest section of the house is a one-and-a-half-story limestone portion, likely constructed circa 1755 by Robert Glass. Shortly thereafter a one-and-a-half-story detached log unit was built to the east and connected to the original section by a covered breezeway. The last addition came in 1827 with a large two-story, stuccoed stone wing. With a gable-end front and a lateral-hall plan, this latter section illustrates a stylistic transition from Federal to Greek Revival. Unfortunately a fire in 1916 in the 1827 section destroyed the roof, the staircase, and all of the woodwork in the second floor. A restoration completed in 1919 salvaged much of the original first-floor woodwork. Since then, the house at Long Meadows has undergone few significant alterations. The cluster of domestic resources on the Long Meadows Farm provides an excellent portrayal of frontier life in a community that is closely associated with the 18th-century settlement of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: January 27, 2022