The very picture of a historic homestead, Sunrise maintains a quiet setting in the scenic landscape of western Frederick County. It is situated on Hollow Road, an unpaved, 18th-century road trace. The original log portion was built following Robert Muse’s purchase of the property in 1818. A ca. 1850 log extension gave Sunrise a somewhat irregularly spaced five-bay façade. The exterior was weatherboarded and the two-level porch was added at the same time. Although of simple outline, the addition was fitted with country Greek Revival trim including curious scalloped lintels over interior openings and an Asher Benjamin-style doorway. The house was further enlarged with a rear wing in 1914. The property remained in the Muse family until 1963. Its old-fashioned character has been carefully maintained by the current owners. Two late-19th-century barns and a meathouse remain on the Sunrise property.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark