The Q.M. Pyne Store in the Giles County village of Eggleston is a two-part commercial structure. The earlier, three-story section was constructed in 1926 by its first proprietors, Fred A. Whittaker and Clayton C. Whittaker, who operated it as a general store, selling a wide array of items. In 1929, the attached two-story portion of the building was constructed for use as a Chevrolet dealership and auto repair shop. Constructed in the Commercial Style, which was popular throughout most of the country at the time, the buildings survived along with a nearby former People’s Bank of Eggleston building, thus constituting the only surviving structures of the Appalachian community of Eggleston’s once lively commerce. In a sparsely-populated rural county with few towns or villages, the Q.M. Pyne Store is among the most notable and best-preserved examples of a general store, owing in part to its spacious, adaptable design and high quality brick construction, which allowed for its continued use through many generations, serving several different functions.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark