For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 07/07/1970
NRHP Listing Date 09/15/1970
NRHP Reference Number 70000794
This architecturally engaging dwelling belongs to Virginia’s collection of colonial glebe houses, structures built to serve their parishes either as a rental property or as rectories. The house originally served Abingdon Parish, the second church of which is a short distance away. Abingdon Glebe House in Gloucester County was standing as early as 1724 when it was mentioned in a report by the rector, Thomas Hughes, to the bishop of London. Built of Flemish bond with glazed headers, the T-shaped house with its original low wings illustrates the transition from the irregular vernacular structures of the 17th century to the symmetrical houses of the Georgian period. The hipped roofs of the wings are among Virginia’s earliest uses of that roof form. The house and its glebe lands were confiscated from the parish and sold during the disestablishment. The Abingdon Glebe House property has been in private ownership ever since.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 28, 2022