Situated on the edge of historic downtown Gloucester Court House, the Gloucester Woman’s Club building showcases over 250 years of history that includes its use as a residence beginning as early as 1770, as a mercantile and retail operation during the first half of the 19th century, as a carriage-manufacturing shop during the latter half, and its longest-held function as the headquarters of today’s civic organization. Founded in 1913, the Gloucester Woman’s Club has supported public programs in education, opportunities for girls and women, and the preservation and interpretation of its historic headquarters and other county sites.
The Gloucester Woman’s Club is an intact example of an evolved Virginia Tidewater dwelling, commercial building, and clubhouse situated within the Gloucester Downtown Historic District. Known locally for a portion of the 20th century as Long Bridge Ordinary, historical research revealed that the building was a dwelling and store, and a 2013 updated register nomination corrects inaccuracies in the previous 1973 nomination, providing an updated description of existing conditions. Originally built between 1750 and 1770, the colonial-era dwelling survives along with major early-to-mid-19th-century Federal-style additions and mid-20th-century Colonial Revival improvements and repairs. Several architectural studies by the Historic American Buildings Survey and the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation were completed between 1979 and 1986, and in 1980, the Long Bridge Ordinary Foundation formed as a not-for-profit organization to assist the Gloucester Woman’s Club in preserving the building and promoting its history in Gloucester County.
[VLR Accepted: 3/21/2013; NRHP Accepted: 6/14/2013]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia