For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 10001063
The Downtown Gloucester Historic District encompasses the heart of the village of Gloucester Court House, the administrative center of Gloucester County since at least the time of the 1766 construction of a third county courthouse and the official 1769 establishment of the Town of Botetourt (modern day Gloucester Court House). The courthouse site has been the focal point of the town’s development since before its legal creation, and a courthouse has existed at or near the current one since circa 1680. After the Civil War, industrialization and new forms of commerce brought more people into Gloucester Court House, resulting in development and expansion of the village down Main Street beyond the original courthouse circle. The period of significance for the historic district runs from 1754 to 1960.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018