For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 06/16/1981
NRHP Listing Date 07/08/1982
NRHP Reference Number 82004561
The Weaver house is one of Greensville County’s few surviving antebellum plantation dwellings. The plain, two-story structure was built between 1838 and 1840 for Jarrad Weaver on land formerly owned by the Waller family of Williamsburg. Although the house lacks the grandeur of the Tidewater plantation houses, Weaver was a prosperous landowner, owning carriages, modern farming equipment, and more than twenty slaves who tended crops of peas, oats, corn, and cotton. The house has a number of features typically associated with vernacular Southside farm-houses including what was originally a hall/parlor plan, painted wood graining, and the comparatively late use of Federal-type woodwork. The weatherboarded walls of the Weaver House were covered with modern asbestos shingles in the latter part of the 20th century; the house otherwise has suffered few alterations.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: September 24, 2021