The John Green sites, named for a recent owner, are two adjacent and related Indian sites that are among the few in southeastern Virginia containing tested post-contact elements. Limited excavation has revealed well-preserved house patterns, human burials, and refuse-filled pits. The mixture of typical aboriginal artifacts with colonial trade items, together with floral and faunal remains, provide a rare opportunity for studying Indian settlement patterns as well as the acculturation of the interior Coastal Plain Indians during the period 1680 to 1730. In addition to what has been salvaged, the wide variety of pre- and post-contact period artifacts that likely remain on the sites should aid the study of interaction between Indians of Virginia’s Piedmont and Coastal Plain. A copper spoon and copper kettle are among the colonial trade items excavated.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark