For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/20/1996
NRHP Listing Date 05/31/1996
NRHP Reference Number 96000576
The Palladian concept of breaking up the massing of a country house gained popularity in England in the early 1700s and spread to Virginia though published designs by James Gibbs, William Morris, and other British architects. Following the precedent of Virginia Palladian-style houses such as Blandfield or Battersea, the five-part Dewberry is a late expression of this form. The stately Hanover County structure was built in 1833 for the Rev. John Cooke, rector of Fork Church, who was instrumental in having nearby Trinity Church built. Such an expansive house was normally beyond the means of a cleric, but Cooke was married to a propertied widow. The design was given added presence by the use of three-part windows. Cooke’s expertise in gardening is shown in the remnants of his large formal garden behind the house. Dewberry has been owned by the Dixon family since 1921.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: May 10, 2021