Originally part of Tuckahoe plantation, Woodside was a western Henrico County farm tract purchased from the Randolph family in 1800 by John Wickham, builder of Richmond’s Wickham-Valentine House, now the Valentine Museum. Wickham’s son Littleton Waller Tazewell Wickham, built the present Greek Revival villa here in 1858 as a rural retreat. On the basis of an original paint contract, the design of the house is attributed to Albert L. West, the most noted of Richmond’s mid-19th-century native architects. The unaltered dwelling at Woodside is significant for its unusual massing and floor plan as well as its sophisticated interior and exterior detailing. Much of the building’s original color scheme and decorative graining is intact, including rare fragments of exterior stuccoing painted to resemble cut stone. The house and its park are surrounded by woods from which it takes its name.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark