Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

047-0041 White Hall

White Hall
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 09/06/2006

NRHP Listing Date 03/30/2007

NPS property number 07000234

Built for William Geddy in 1805–06, White Hall and its collection of outbuildings represent over 200 years of nearly continuous occupation by the Geddy family. After initial construction, the main house remained unaltered until the early 20th century, and embodies the lifestyles of an upper middle-class planter. The rearward orientation of the main stair and the full-sized second story and chambers, for instance, reflect the growing desire for more domestic privacy. Alterations made in 1915 and 1935 reflect changing architectural needs and tastes, such as the 1935 two-story wing which provided space for an attached kitchen and heated living space. The Geddy family was well known in Williamsburg, William for his blacksmith business, and his son James, a silversmith. William Geddy also purchased a license to run an ordinary in 1804–05, though this was not renewed, and it is not known that White Hall ever served that purpose. From 1833 to 1846, White Hall was in the possession of Allen Lindsey, another middle-class planter, though it returned to the Geddy family upon his death, with whom it remains to this day.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated September 17, 2018