For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 10/14/1986
NRHP Listing Date 01/07/1987
NRHP Reference Number 86003593
This tiny but visually engaging house of worship is part of Virginia’s small but important collection of Gothic Revival country churches. Completed in 1860 and attributed on stylistic basis to the Baltimore architectural partnership of Niernsee and Neilson, the Emmanual Episcopal Church has an architectural presence despite its diminutive size. Contrasting with the Gothic nave is the Italianate tower, enriched with a bold bracketed cornice and concave pyramidal cap, similar to Martin’s Brandon Church in Prince George County. Although damaged during the Civil War, the church retains its original gallery and a Henry Erben pipe organ dating to the third quarter of the 19th century. The still active King George County church is the only remnant of the village of Port Conway, and Emmanual Church is a familiar landmark to motorists crossing the Rappahannock River at Port Royal along U.S. Route 301.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: December 29, 2021