Its rectangular plan, hipped roof, and side entrance, make Lamb’s Creek Church a classic example of a rural colonial Anglican church. The King George County church was built in 1769-77 to serve Brunswick Parish. Its elegant proportions, precise brickwork, and gauged brick doorways illustrate an achievement of sophistication with minimal ornamentation. Because of its similarity to the 1769 Payne’s Church, Fairfax County (destroyed), the design of Lamb’s Creek Church is attributed to the colonial architect John Ariss, or “Ayres” (as noted in church records), the documented designer of Payne’s. Union troops used the church as a stable during the Civil War, destroying most of the original woodwork and furnishings. Restored to service by the Episcopalians in 1908, the church at present is inactive, being used only for an annual memorial service. The parish still possesses a rare Vinegar edition Bible (1716) and a 1662 missal.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark