The Pamunkey River plantation of Chericoke in King William County has been the property of the Braxton family and their descendants since the mid-18th-century. It was first owned by George Braxton (died 1757), who left it to his son Carter Braxton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Carter Braxton built a large house at Chericoke in 1770, one reputedly bigger than his substantial dwelling at nearby Elsing Green. This house burned five years later, but its undisturbed site is likely of archaeological interest. Braxton is thought to lie buried nearby in an unmarked grave. The present plantation dwelling, erected in 1828 for Charles Hill Carter Braxton, grandson of the signer, is characteristic of homes of prosperous Virginia planters of the Federal period. Similar to contemporary Richmond houses, Chericoke has a simple entranced front and a porticoed garden or river front.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark