For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 08/15/1972
NRHP Listing Date 12/05/1972
NRHP Reference Number 72001402
The simple but dignified colonial Mangohick Church was built ca. 1730-32 as a chapel of ease for St. Margaret’s Parish, but soon became the upper church of St. David’s Parish. Although no less well-crafted, such chapels were nearly always considerably plainer than their parent churches, relying mainly on fine brickwork and careful proportions for aesthetic affect. William Byrd II of Westover passed by Mangohick in 1732 and noted it as the “New Brick Church” in his journal of the “Progress to the Mines.” The King William County church was abandoned after the disestablishment and later became a free church, available for use by any denomination. Since the late 19th century Mangohick Church has been the home of an African American Baptist congregation. The interior preserves its original gallery. Mangohick Church’s colonial-style window sashes were installed in 1980.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: November 23, 2022