Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

050-0070 Windsor Shades

Windsor Shades
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 12/21/1976

NRHP Listing Date 05/22/1978

NPS property number 78003025

Windsor Shades, sometimes known as Waterville, is a little-altered colonial planter’s house. Although built of wood and employing a gambrel roof, the house has much of the refinement found in the larger houses of the period. A distinguishing feature is the massive east chimney structure, incorporating two stacks and five fireplaces, one of which is an unusually large basement kitchen fireplace. The chimney structure also contains two closets, each with a window. A fine Georgian stair graces the center passage. The parlor is embellished with a Georgian chimneypiece and paneled wainscoting. With the loss of county records, the early history of Windsor Shades remains veiled. The house may have been built ca. 1750 by Augustine Claiborne. The property was later owned by the Ruffins and then the Chamberlayne family.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated April 4, 2018