The two-story, five-bay frame house at Wyoming Farm was built in the King William County ca. 1800 for the Hoomes family. While maintaining the traditional Georgian flavor of earlier decades, Wyoming is considerably larger both in exterior dimensions and room sizes than other Tidewater houses of the same style, and it may be the largest traditional center-passage plantation dwelling in eastern Virginia. The house was part of a wave of construction of residential architecture that took place in the Virginia countryside following the Revolution, a building boom that resulted in the remodeling or replacement of the majority of the small, often rude, colonial farmhouses of the Tidewater region. Like many of these post-Revolutionary structures, Wyoming’s interior is embellished with paneled chimneypieces and wainscoting. Its name may allude to the Revolutionary battle of Wyoming Valley, Pa., or to the Indian word for plain.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark